Monday, April 9, 2012

Chocolate & Blackberry Mille-Feuille



Me and R both had this chocolate craving last weekend and I started thinking of what could be made.... and I somehow kept coming back to a delicious vanilla bean mille feuille I ate at the Breadkraft in Hong Kong. It was one of those days when I wanted to make something fancy and new and definitely had to be chocolate but the heat these days is just about un-bearable and the idea of spending a lot of time in the kitchen trying out a proper mille feuille frankly wasn’t that appealing to me just then...plus getting a puff pastry dough together with the butter behaving crazy because of the heat was also going to pose a huge problem (not making excuses...it really is that hot!). So I decided to make a Cheat’s Mille Feuille J
Since we wanted chocolate, I decided to use swiss thins instead of the traditional puff pastry/layered pastry and make some chocolate ganache, and use strawberries for the fruit layering. That’s when I saw the precious box of Blackberries that I so tediously carried back with me from Hong Kong...and I smiled J I knew me and R were going enjoy a rich dark chocolate mille feuille with the summery freshness of these plump juicy sweet blackberries! J



Recipe 
          
Ingredients:

100gms Chocolate, chopped (Use the best quality chocolate that you can get, I used Ghirardelli 60%cocao)
50ml Heavy Cream
1 tbsp Blackberry Jam
A small box of Swiss thins
50gms Fresh Blackberries
1 tbsp Cocoa Powder

Method:

1) To make the ganache, heat the cream till just simmering and then pour it over the chopped chocolate. Stir it gently till smooth. Add the blackberry jam and stir again until well incorporated. Place it in the fridge for about 15-20 mins to firm up.
2) To assemble, place the swiss thin over a parchment paper. Remove the ganache from the fridge and whip it with a spatula just to fluff it up.
3) Pipe or spoon the ganache onto the thins and top it with fresh blackberries, either repeat and create another layer or top it with another thin (place just a dot of ganache on top of the blackberry so that the thins stick)
4) To finish, dust it gently with cocoa powder.
5)  Serve immediately or refrigerate

The mille feuille was delicious but I don’t think I will try this again in such heat. The chocolate was extremely difficult to handle and kept melting even with the heat of hands L This is how they were looking by the time I could take the second shot.

But this will surely be the go to recipe for a fancy looking desert that is so simple to make J!


2 comments:

  1. Kind of looks like sophisticated smores, but hold the marshmallows. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Pages